Saturday, February 12, 2011

Thoughts from Utah

"So then...each of us will give an account of himself to God" Romans 14:12

Do you know what follows this verse?

"Therefore, let us stop passing judgment on one another."

Funny how we have forgotten that!

I have been overwhelmed lately by an incredible love for Christ, a passionate desire to worship him and share him with others in an intimate, caring, and honest way. I have a deep longing to see those I love come to know Christ. But they need to see him first through me first. How does my life reflect Christ today?

I'm reading Nel Noddings book The Challenge to Care in Schools, and I have found so much of it resonating with me on a personal level as I reflect on my life and my interactions with people. Nodding's discusses a lot about the Ethic of Care; to approach school with care as the central focus rather than curriculum. Do I approach my life and my relationships with care as the focus rather than the end goal? That is, do I love people for the sake of loving people rather than for what it does for me?

This weekend/week I am in Utah visiting friends and it is a gorgeous state! One of my friends roommates is struggling with his beliefs and has given himself three months to decide what to do. He is Mormon - how do I direct him to truth in Love for the sake of love and not for the sake of directing him to the truth. Is it out of love that I desire to direct him to the truth? or something else?

No comments: